Update about the updatePosted: March 19, 2012
ok folks, just to fill you in on events and planned updates. After some pretty exhausting political junk before, during and after the new year I decided to take a couple of months away from eve to recharge batteries, but also to start on a pretty major project.
when I first wrote staticmapper there was no real plan or focus for the project. I simply wanted to take what me and teh k162 lads had written in the form of excel spread sheets and convert them into an all in one lookup tool. Those who were playing during the Apocrypher update will remember the wormholethingie which was the basis of the database. Since then, it’s eveolved and included more and more tables from the eve datadump but in that is the problem. You see it eveolved. So I decided that I would start this year with a complete rewrite. Having looked at things like code ignigter, fuel, yii, I decided that the concept of MCV development was sound so I took my own framework and with some simple tweaks I evolved it into my own. This is the new basis of staticmapper. From your perspective, it will look and operate pretty much exactly the same. From mine, it will help me greatly track down and fix the various bugs some of you have pointed out.
So what’s going to be new in the rebuild?
- SEO. Currently it’s all done through the index.php with get. Nice and easy to code, not so easy for google to run through and index. This is good for you because it will make it easier for you to find the info that you want.
- Meta data and keywords – google loves the use of keywords in content so when the spider indexes the page, it will get all the info relevant to the system thus better search results.
- Faster SQL – There is lots of queries on some of the pages. And in some cases (eg region view) the number can really slow down the render of the page. No page should take longer than half a second to render and this is what I’m aiming for. If I leave you sitting there waiting for a page to render, that’s time you’re not paying attention to your surroundings and a better chance for you to get ganked from someone who is watching on the other side…….
- jQuery – Lots of old skool code in there from the days before I started using jQuery. so stripping out everything long winded and simplifying
- Better search – One of your main complaints is that the search needs expanding. I hear you and this is how it will work in version 2.0
– Search by system
– Search for systems with xxxx static
– Search for systems with x type of planet
– Search for systems with high kills
– Search for systems you scanned by date range with all of the above criteria
- Revisit the route finder. Runs like lightening on my localhost, slow as treacle on the webserver. This is not good and needs fixing.
- Making the functionality to update system static records more obvious. A nice styled button rather than the vanilla HTML one.
- Sigmap features – I’m going to make it easier to fill in the sigmap. If you’ve scanned down a system updated the sigmap on the otherside and jump through, makes sense that the sigmap for the otherside should auto populate the k162 record right? And that all wanted signature notes field so you can leave each other love letters.
There are many other bugs that will be fixed with the rebuild, well basically because it will be a completely new site. So plenty more bugs for you all to find.
Right now, I’ve go the core functionaltiy, template and MVC structure in place so I just need to blast through each section, splitting out functions to classes, views and models, each to it’s own. My aim is to have the site rebuilt for June and I’ll be sure to keep you all updated on how it’s going.
Fly safe and feel free to contact me with wish lists /features you’d like to see in the site.