Just a quick heads up that I’m currently, right now, this very minute… well up until the point when I took a breather to write this, working on a complete site revamp for your pleasure.
A number of reasons for this. Firstly, it’s way over due. The old HTML style was fine for the time but things have evolved and so have your needs. I’m seeing a lot more phondleslabs and smart-phones being used to lookup data and in order to take advantage of this growing trend, I need to make the site more responsive. Secondly the old legacy code-base is an embarrassment. Honestly, I shudder at the Frankensite code every time I try and track down any bugs reported to me. And lastly I’m a nerd who loves to tweak and make things better. New web standards and widgets is more toys for me to play with which in turn means more toys for you to play with. It’s a viscous circle but one I know you can all live with.
The kindest thing to do is to start again so I’ve already began the reboot. The new site is based on a twitter bootstrap theme so nice and responsive for smaller screens (and IGB minimized viewing as well) with the back end being developed on the fuelphp MVC framework which will make my life a whole lot easier to add new features and trouble shoot. I might even throw in a spot of unit testing and TDD that’s all the rage these days.
In the pipeline will be :
- a complete overhaul of the sigmap including the much requested cut and paste scan results
- more detailed information on scanned anomalies and a tie into the market data on the industry tracker to give you a guide on how much it could potentially be worth.
- Some form of visual representation of scanned routes to tie into the current route finding feature.
- Better search functions
- More information on the current system and laid out a whole lot neater
- A more intuitive way of adding to the database with better filters of sharing the data with corp, alliance and “friends”
- WH images!!! With the help of Penny Ibramovic of the tigerears.org blog, I’ll be adding to the static information images of the statics so you can visually identify them. In particular this will be most effective when finding K-space target WHs. When you enter the static code for the K-space lead into search, images of potential empire statics will be filtered by the target class and displayed allowing you to pick the one that looks like what’s in front of you so you’ll have an idea where you’ll come out before you even jump.
To wet your appetite, here’s a sneak peak of a responsive regional view
Thought I’d throw out a quick post on a pretty elaberate scam which actually has some degree of success. I have to take my hat off to this one.
so there I was in rens, looking at the market seeing what stock I could buy up and still make a profit what with jita being camped and all when I see in local some contacts that look legit. Contracts in local that seem legit should cause alarm bells to ring to everyone….
Study the next screen shot for a moment or 2.
Hangar clear out. ok… 250 mil?!? what???? Nothing in there that has the value of 250 mil unitl….. hold on….. Compressed Dark Ocher…. hmmm
View market and….. ahhhh. What we see here looks too good to be true. Someone selling ore at well over the market value, nothing odd about that. What is odd is the 400 million buy order which exceeds the sell.
“But that’s impossible!” Well no it’s not if you have the right trading skill. Here’s how the scam works.
Note the times. the 400 mil buy order is 4 hours old, the sell orders are 40 minutes old. to make this scam work depends on how you set up the orders.
The perp has an alt with margim Trading at level 5 :
Ability to make potentially risky investments work in your favor. Each level of skill reduces the percentage of ISK placed in market escrow when entering buy orders. Starting with an escrow percentage of 100% at Level 0 (untrained skill), each skill level cumulatively reduces the percentage by 25%. For a maximum reduction of approximately 24% total escrow at level 5.
He has to have enough isk in the alts account to set up the order but with margin trading it only part of his capital goes into escrow. So what he does next is remove all isk from the alt. Quickly sell a few units to himself bring the escrow up to full He then sets up sell orders with the remaining units.
Initially he’ll get a message telling him that the person he’s selling to doesn’t have enough isk to complete the transaction leaving him to set up the sell orders to a much lower price than the buy.
The rest is to wait for the next dummy to come along, buy the sell, try to sell to the buy and find out that he can’t! perp has 300 mil, the mark has some really expensive dark ochre.
and what’s the contract for? to discreetly advertise the scam
site will be down for about an hour on the 7th April from 5am UTC so web server it’s hosted on can have the motherboard replaced due to a faulty network controller. that tends to be a slow time of day for you guys but just in case, thought I’d let you all know….
ok folks, just to fill you in on events and planned updates. After some pretty exhausting political junk before, during and after the new year I decided to take a couple of months away from eve to recharge batteries, but also to start on a pretty major project.
when I first wrote staticmapper there was no real plan or focus for the project. I simply wanted to take what me and teh k162 lads had written in the form of excel spread sheets and convert them into an all in one lookup tool. Those who were playing during the Apocrypher update will remember the wormholethingie which was the basis of the database. Since then, it’s eveolved and included more and more tables from the eve datadump but in that is the problem. You see it eveolved. So I decided that I would start this year with a complete rewrite. Having looked at things like code ignigter, fuel, yii, I decided that the concept of MCV development was sound so I took my own framework and with some simple tweaks I evolved it into my own. This is the new basis of staticmapper. From your perspective, it will look and operate pretty much exactly the same. From mine, it will help me greatly track down and fix the various bugs some of you have pointed out.
So what’s going to be new in the rebuild?
- SEO. Currently it’s all done through the index.php with get. Nice and easy to code, not so easy for google to run through and index. This is good for you because it will make it easier for you to find the info that you want.
- Meta data and keywords – google loves the use of keywords in content so when the spider indexes the page, it will get all the info relevant to the system thus better search results.
- Faster SQL – There is lots of queries on some of the pages. And in some cases (eg region view) the number can really slow down the render of the page. No page should take longer than half a second to render and this is what I’m aiming for. If I leave you sitting there waiting for a page to render, that’s time you’re not paying attention to your surroundings and a better chance for you to get ganked from someone who is watching on the other side…….
- jQuery – Lots of old skool code in there from the days before I started using jQuery. so stripping out everything long winded and simplifying
- Better search – One of your main complaints is that the search needs expanding. I hear you and this is how it will work in version 2.0
- Search by system
- Search for systems with xxxx static
- Search for systems with x type of planet
- Search for systems with high kills
- Search for systems you scanned by date range with all of the above criteria
- Revisit the route finder. Runs like lightening on my localhost, slow as treacle on the webserver. This is not good and needs fixing.
- Making the functionality to update system static records more obvious. A nice styled button rather than the vanilla HTML one.
- Sigmap features – I’m going to make it easier to fill in the sigmap. If you’ve scanned down a system updated the sigmap on the otherside and jump through, makes sense that the sigmap for the otherside should auto populate the k162 record right? And that all wanted signature notes field so you can leave each other love letters.
There are many other bugs that will be fixed with the rebuild, well basically because it will be a completely new site. So plenty more bugs for you all to find.
Right now, I’ve go the core functionaltiy, template and MVC structure in place so I just need to blast through each section, splitting out functions to classes, views and models, each to it’s own. My aim is to have the site rebuilt for June and I’ll be sure to keep you all updated on how it’s going.
Fly safe and feel free to contact me with wish lists /features you’d like to see in the site.
For the majority of you, I apologise for the extremely vulgar migraine inducing text you see displayed below the menu bar, but it appears there exists an illiterate few are among you. So far today I have received no less than 4 mails from people to report false records in the data set. So to help these few, I’ve temporarily increased the size of the link. Providing I don’t get any further “this static is wrong in xxxxx system” mails, I’ll reduce it back to it’s normal size and colour on friday.
Please please please stop sending me messages to update the dataset. That’s your job…. It’s your data, from you, by you, for you….
First off folks, severe apology for not being able to sort this out sooner. I didn’t get any of your eve mails to me until about 2 hours ago when I resubbed. Everyone needs some downtime from the great game once in a while.
What was the cause? Well remember a couple of weeks ago when the site was down for a couple of hours? This was because it was being moved to another server. The old server it was one was a centos server and the new runs redhat. The issue was the method that I was detecting the browser with. Because of the way the old server was configured I had to use $HTTP_SERVER_VARS['HTTP_USER_AGENT']; to detect the browser because $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']; didn’t work……..
This has now been fixed. unfortunately though statistics are missing because the crons didn’t get moved. So setting those up now. Statistics will begin populating shortly.
I will now get back to the rebuild….. Again, if you have problems, catch me on twitter as I’ll be keeping it updated with current and future updates.
Fly safe folks!